Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Korean Religion

So what comes to your mind when you first think of Korean Religion? Well, probably Buddhism, Taoism or Confucianism right?

A 2003 survey by the South Korean government showed that only about 50% of Koreans adhere to any particular religion, while the rest are either Atheist, or as I’d like to call myself, spiritual.

Well I’m quite the opposite of a religion buff but I thought Confucianism was more of a way of thinking than a religion. Anyways, stats showed that only about 3% of the population are Confucians although I believe the respect for elders and some other Korean values are related to this old way of thinking. My last rant about having to show uber respect to older men comes from this way of thinking.

Buddhism used to compose a high percentage of Koreans but today is practiced by only about 1/4 of the Korean population. There are numerous famous Buddhist temples and mountains in Korea that provide great hiking and sightseeing on the weekend.

The most surprising thing to me though, is the number of Christians here in Korea. Christian missionaries first started coming here in the late 18th century and converted a large number of Koreans, and then again in the 70’s and 80’s a large number of people converted. The later I am guessing can be attributed to the US led force against North Korea in the 50’s and the continued presence of American Army bases here. Christians statistically comprise only about 25% of the population, but wherever you go in Korea, and especially Seoul, you see churches absolutely everywhere.

The majority of my students both now and in the past are Christian. I think every one of my 12 co-teachers is Christian and on Sundays…. oh on Sundays.

You think the odd Jehovah Witness is a little annoying back home in Canada. Well…you ain’t seen anything then. I would say about 70% of the people who approach me in the street are coming to talk to me about Christianity and to ask “Have you found Jesus?” On Sunday you can find streets lined with people who are signing hymns from the bible and if you go to downtown Seoul you get the really hardcore who are walking around with big banners and picket signs damning anyone who doesn’t believe in the Lord and Savior.

I am all for doing something that makes you happy and gives you purpose in life, but the minute someone tries to push those ideas and beliefs on me or someone else than that is the time I lose respect for them and their religion. Only once has a girl who approached me on the street responded when I told her I’m not religious with a ‘”No problem, you can think as you which.” I was very astonished as all the others have continued pushing and trying to attest their thinking.

I am usually nice and respectful to those who approach me like that but there are times when I can lose my temper. Last March while me and Sungku were sitting in a park, a man and what seemed like his son came up and said hello to us. I said hello back very kindly knowing what they were going to talk to us about. They show us a little brochure and I respond with a, no thanks, not interested. He pushes it forward again, and I repeat the answer in Korean. They start talking Korean to Sungku who is actually quite anti-religious and she gets angry and gives them a few harsh words to go away. They stay for another solid minute just talking and ignoring our request and it’s about this time I start getting pissed off and when Sungku decides she’s had enough, stands up and really starts giving it to them in Korean. Got the attention of the whole park, but finally made them leave.

I sometimes wear a chain with the Buddhist symbol around my neck and I’ve gotten trouble from a Dutch friend back home about it and a foreigner here, as it looks similar to the Nazi symbol. Fair enough error back home, maybe not for the guy here. But one of my students the other week sees it and asks me, “Are you a Nazi teacher?” I look at him funny and ask him “You are Christian, aren’t you?” Of course he didn’t understand and maybe it’s for the better but definitely the next week I saw him wearing a cross around his neck, pulled out and displayed for my viewing pleasure.

The worst thing about most religion is the zero tolerance most take on having and studying other religions. I think it is good to read a variety of religious books to understand certain peoples ways of thinking and to take a little from each to come up with your own philosophy on life. Like this kid in my class though, he knew what the symbol was and was just poking fun at it and comparing it to one of the most known and despised symbols in the world.

This lack of acceptance has provoked a few outbursts from me in this country. Although most religious people I meet both here and back home are kind, generous, caring and keep their convictions to themselves, those who persist and ignore my free thought will always be the reason why I have a negative view on religion as a whole.

I hope I haven’t offended any readers with this post. But if so… I don’t apologize… I didn’t force you to read my thoughts and views and you are more than welcome to carry on believing what you will as long as you’re not hurting anyone with them.

Peace, love , cheese, and Freedom of Thought,

Colin

No comments: