Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Well. It's been a while. Not because I've been keeping quiet, but more that I've been crazy busy and have had too little time to write. Well...after one of the most fun months of my life....here is part one of many more to come.

The Setting:

Who
A gathering of 4 of the best friends from Langley, BC.
Me: Colin (Red), currently working in Seoul, Korea
My girlfriend: Sungku, working and living with me in Seoul, Korea
My brother: Scott (Dushon), currently working in sunny Xiamen, China
My friend: Ryan (Skins), currently working in freezing Harbin, China
My friend: Richard (Richie), currently working in Vancouver, Canada

When and Where
Everyone was arriving the last weekend of April and staying in Korea for a week. Me, Scott, Ritchie and Sungku were heading to South China for a week in Xiamen after that. Me and Sungku had to come back but Richie stayed for one more week down South with Scott. Then Richie came back up here ( because of a round trip flight to and from Seoul) for one last week and hurrah.

The What and How....well here we go.....


Night 1:

As everywhere in Asia for a Westerner, things don't flow as easy and smooth as they do for us back home. So, Richie had a nice 30 minute wait wondering where the &*^# I was upon arrival. It was his first time on a plane even so I know he was a bit overwhelmed by everything already. Anyways...found him eventually, and made it to none other than my favourite Korean food right away...돼기갈비 (BBQ Pork Ribs).


Luckily I warned him I have my own methods to fight off jet lag...it's called going out until early the next morning, sleeping most of the day, getting up and doing it again, and then it's Monday!

And what better way to do that then the last Friday of every month in Seoul. CLUB NIGHT! This means you pay 15,000 WON (it's about $1 US to 1000 WON) and you get a drink and entry to like 15 clubs. So...we managed to hit up about 10 of them...loose Richie for a few hours in between...make some new friends, and have a very solid first night.

Day 1:

After sleeping 'till about 1ish and waking up to a most beautiful sunny day of about 26 degrees, we thought what better way to spend a Saturday afternoon that at the ballpark. Good thing for us, there are two teams home field about 15 minutes from my house. So three o'clock rolls up, and it's beer and breakfast outside the ball park.

I know many of you are thinking, a ballgame, how boring, I'd rather watch golf. Where not here in Korea, it was wicked. Chanting every single batter, singing, dirt cheap drinks and food and sitting on the winning side of the field made it by far the best baseball game I've ever seen (even beating out the Yankees vs. Red Sox in Yankee Stadium)!!!

The cheerleaders were bad dancers but mighty sexy just as I've seen at every sports contest here in Korea, but the pinnacle was the game ending just as the sun went down and our side cheering away with a song about Busan (our side was the Busan Lotte Giants.)

The other video of the game itself isn't working yet. Will be up soon.

More to come...gotta take a little at a time.

No comments: